Biking in Slovenia » Gorenjska » Mrzli Vrh from Žiri
Mrzli Vrh (Cold Peak) is a beautiful vista point high above Žiri, well worth the effort you’ll spend hiking or biking there – you’ll enjoy the views of Škofja Loka hills, Idrija hills, and the Julian Alps.
At a Glance
- Steep ascent on a mix of asphalt and gravel roads
- 987 m
- Average time
- 2 h
- Elevation gain
- 510 m
- 10.5 km
- We’ll start in Ledinica, a hamlet at the edge of Žiri. There’s a tiny parking lot next to the river, or you could park in one of the larger lots in the industrial part of Žiri.
- Follow the road passing between the houses of Ledinica, then follow the signs for Mrzli Vrh. Whenever in doubt, stay on the main road.
- When you reach the saddle on the Mrzli Vrh ridge, turn sharp left onto a dirt road leading toward an amateur radio hut (you can’t miss the gigantic antennae they use). Pass it, and stop a bit later at a lovely bench – a perfect spot to have a break and enjoy the views.
Use the same road to get back, or take a left turn at Kmetija Brce (Brce farm) onto a very steep gravel road that will take you straight to Ledinica.
- If you have a mountain bike, try following the hiking trail toward Breznica.
- There’s also an asphalt road to Breznica via Ledine and Ledinske Krnice, and a gravel road through Korita.
- The gravel road back to Ledinica starts just before Breznica, or you could take the asphalt road to Žiri and return to the car via a lovely gravel path following the Sora river.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track; rely on your senses and maps.