Regions » Primorska
Some hikes around Primorska hills (Cerkno and Idrija hills, Trnovski forest) are listed on this page. You’ll find many more hikes in southern Primorska in these pages:
Finally, the whole Soča valley belongs to Primorska: you’ll find hikes in that region under Julian Alps
- Red dots on the map are hiking trips with English description;
- Green dots are biking tours.
- Gray dots are hikes without an English description. You might still want to look at the map, enjoy the photos, or use Google Translate on Slovenian text .
Hikes or biking tours with detailed descriptions
Križna Gora and Javornik (24 km, Δ=790 m)
Getting to Pirnat Lodge at Javornik from Col is easy – you can drive there – but it’s way more fun to take a detour via Križna Gora and another one through Vodice on the way back.
Lokvarski (Šebreljski) Vrh (18 km, Δ=850 m)
Lokvarski Vrh (also known as Vrhovec or Šebreljski Vrh) is one of the highest peaks on the ridge between Idrijca and Kanomlja valleys, with a phenomenal 360-degree panorama of the Julian Alps, Cerkno hills, Vojsko, and Trnovski Gozd. You can get there from Oblakov Vrh, Idrijske Krnice, or Šebrelje.
Oblakov Vrh from Dolenja Trebuša (19 km, Δ=600 m)
Oblakov Vrh (Cloudy Peak) is a saddle between Kanomlja and Hotenja valleys with a beautiful view of the Idrija Fault (both valleys resulted from that fault). We’ll bike to Oblakov Vrh from Dolenja Trebuša and enjoy a panoramic view of the Julian Alps on the way back.
St. Ivan and Šebrelje (630 m, Δ=420 m, 3 hours)
A steep hike from Idrijca valley to the church of St. John (Sv. Ivan) brings you to the sunny Šebrelje plateau.
Vojsko from Čekovnik (24.1 km, Δ=640 m)
Vojsko is a high, densely forested karst plateau with one of the highest-lying settlements in Slovenia. You could bike around the Vojsko and admire the people who made their living in that harsh environment for centuries or enjoy the views while biking to Vojsko from Idrija, Spodnja Idrija, Idrijska Bela, Gorenja Trebuša, or Čekovnik.
Zadlog from Wild Lake (22.4 km, Δ=450 m)
Zadlog is a dispersed settlement stretched across a fairy-tale flatland high above the upper Idrijca Valley. We’ll start at Wild Lake, use an old road supposedly built during the Napoleonic occupation of Slovenia, and return via the scenic Strug gorge.
Zakojca from Idrijca Valley (24.8 km, Δ=640 m)
Zakojca is a tiny village on the northern slopes of Kojca with a beautiful view of the southern peaks of the Julian Alps. Starting from Idrijca valley, you could get there on an asphalt road via Bukovo or (more interestingly) via Vrh Ravni pass.
Šebrelje by Bike (8 km, Δ=400 m)
Šebrelje is a village on a sunny plateau high above Idrijca valley, best known for the nearby Stone Age archeological site. You can hike to the northern part of the village or take the asphalt road and then explore Šebrelje by bike.
Šentviška Gora (22 km, Δ=580 m)
Šentviška Gora is the largest settlement on a lovely high plateau between Idrijca and Bača valleys. The nearby vista point on Arbišče offers beautiful views of Cerkno and Idrija hills, Trnovski Gozd, Vojsko, and the Julian Alps.
Široko on Banjšice Plateau (13 km, Δ=590 m)
Široko is a vista point on the northern edge of Banjšice Plateau, high above the confluence of Idrijca and Soča. Getting there takes a steep and strenuous ascent regardless of whether you hike there from Most na Soči train station or bike from the village center, but the rewarding views of the southern ridges of the Julian Alps are well worth the effort.
Other hikes in this region
- Hleviške planine (908 m, Δ=650 m, 5 hours)
- Javorniki over lake Cerknica (1268 m, Δ=740 m, 4.5 hours)
- Kojca from Jesenica (1303 m, Δ=600 m, 3 hours)
- Križna gora above Podkraj (1213 m, Δ=413 m, 3 hours)
- Mali Golak (1495 m, Δ=490 m, 2.5 hours)
- Porezen (1630 m, Δ=930 m, 6 hours)
- Rodne (698 m, Δ=460 m, 2 hours)
- Suhi vrh on Nanos (1313 m, Δ=723 m, 5 hours)
- Vremščica from Gornje Ležeče (1027 m, Δ=360 m, 2 hours)
- Vremščica from Senožeče (1027 m, Δ=470 m, 3 hours)
- Črni vrh above Cerkno (1288 m, Δ=290 m, 1.5 hour)
- Škrbina and Kuk (627 m, Δ=440 m, 3 hours)
- Idrijske Krnice
- Around Šentviška Gora
- Dolenja Trebuša - Vrše
- Most na Soči - Kanalski Lom
- Most na Soči - Čepovan - Lokovec