Regions » Vipava Valley
- Red dots on the map are hiking trips with English description;
- Green dots are biking tours.
- Gray dots are hikes without an English description. You might still want to look at the map, enjoy the photos, or use Google Translate on Slovenian text .
Hikes or biking tours with detailed descriptions
Kovk above Col (961 m)
Kovk from Col (961 m)
Kovk from Vipava Valley (961 m)
Nanos (Pleša) from Abram (1262 m)
The hike across sunny Nanos meadows from Abram (a 500-year old farm situated 800m above the Vipava valley) is my favorite way to reach Pleša, the most prominent Nanos peak.
We love taking the hike in May and June, enjoying the wildflowers, or doing it in late autumn or early spring when the soil is still frozen.
Plaz above Vipava (529 m)
Sončnica (867 m)
Stara Baba above Ajdovščina (350 m)
Veliki Rob from Gojače/Zasod (1236 m)
Vipavska Brda (Vipava Hills) from Podnanos (17.3 km, Δ=560 m)
Čaven (1242 m)
Čaven is a Karst plateau (as well as one of the peaks in that plateau) high above Vipava valley north-west of Ajdovščina.
Its steep slopes presented a formidable challenge to local farmers, who created a web of footpaths, dirt trails, and narrow dirt roads to reach high-lying meadows and forests. You can walk along those paths to get to Koča na Čavnu (Čaven mountain hut) from Predmeja, Vrtovin, Stomaž, Kamnje, or Lokavec.
Čaven from Kamnje (1242 m)
Farmers from Kamnje, a tiny village high above Vipava valley, had to walk two hours to reach the meadows where they were preparing hay for the winter.
The local mountaineering team decided to preserve that tradition and created a theme path leading from Kamnje to Mala Gora.
Other hikes in this region
- Dolski maj (912 m, Δ=250 m, 2 hours)
- Gradiška Tura (793 m, Δ=500 m, 3.5 hours)
- Kucelj from Predmeja (1237 m, Δ=570 m, 3.5 hours)
- Kucelj from Vrtovin (1237 m, Δ=1100 m, 6.5 hours)
- Kucelj via Saint Paul's školj (1237 m, Δ=900 m, 5 hours)
- Mala gora (1034 m, Δ=200 m, 2 hours)
- Nanos from Razdrto (1262 m, Δ=640 m, 3.5 hours)
- Nanos from Strane (1262 m, Δ=610 m, 4 hours)
- Otlica's natural window (820 m, Δ=600 m, 3 hours)
- Saint Nicholas above Vipava valley (445 m, Δ=200 m, 2 hours)
- Saint Paul above Vrtovin (498 m, Δ=270 m, 2 hours)
- Čaven from Lokavec near Ajdovščina (1242 m, Δ=1080 m, 5 hours)
- Čaven from Predmeja (1242 m, Δ=580 m, 3 hours)
- Čaven from Stomaž (1242 m, Δ=950 m, 4 hours)