Hiking in Slovenia » Vipava Valley » Plaz above VipavaPlaz is a scenic viewpoint above Vipava. Pleasant footpaths lead to it from Vipava and Gradišče, making it a perfect destination of an afternoon family hike.
At a Glance
- Enjoyable hike on marked dirt trails and footpaths
- 529 m
- Average time
Ascent: 45 minutes -- 1 hour
Descent: 30 minutes
Total: 2 hours
- Elevation gain
- 270 m
In a Nutshell
- Park at a large parking lot next to Gradišče camp.
- Follow signs for Plaz onto an ascending dirt trail.
- When the trail passes easily-climbable rocks, you might notice red dots on the rocks. If you’re reasonably athletic and not afraid of heights, try and climb them – after approximately 80 m, the climb will end at the marked footpath (warning: not suitable for kids unless you know how to spot or belay them).
- OK, so you’re not a climber. When you get to the next fork, take it. Seriously – you could take a footpath going right or keep on the rocky trail going left. They will both bring you to a lovely picnic spot in a pine forest.
- From the picnic spot, follow a slowly ascending footpath to the hilltop and enjoy the vista.
Regardless of which path you took to get to Plaz, you can make the trip a bit more interesting by taking the other one to return to Gradišče.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track wholeheartedly; rely on your senses and maps.