Regions » Gorenjska
This page lists hikes around Gorenjska hills. You’ll find alpine hikes here:
- Red dots on the map are hiking trips with English description;
- Green dots are biking tours.
- Gray dots are hikes without an English description. You might still want to look at the map, enjoy the photos, or use Google Translate on Slovenian text .
Hikes or biking tours with detailed descriptions
Betwixt Gorenjska and Primorska (20.3 km, Δ=440 m)
The eastern part of the boundary between Gorenjska and Primorska (two historical regions in western Slovenia) lies on Idrijca and Sora’s watershed. We’ll explore a picturesque ridge on that watershed with great views of Kamnik Alps, Julian Alps, and Idrija hills.
Blegoš (1562 m)
Blegoš is the highest summit in the Škofja Loka hills and (together with Ratitovec and Porezen) one of the »big three« subalpine peaks.
Blegoš from Hotavlje (1562 m, Δ=1100 m, 6 hours)
One of the longest ascents to Blegoš begins in Hotavlje, a village in the valley Poljanska dolina, best known for its quarry of high-quality Hotavlje stone.
Blegoš from Volaka (1562 m, Δ=990 m, 5 hours)
Want to check the view from Blegoš but hate the crowds? Try the solitary hike from Volaka – you’ll rarely meet someone on the old footpaths in the first half of the ascent and might encounter a like-minded soul when your path merges with the road from Leskovica.
Ermanovec from Trebija (15.3 km, Δ=530 m)
Take a trip from Trebija to the mountain hut on Ermanovec if you happen to be in Poljanska Valley with a bike – the views (once you get out of the forest) are well worth the effort.
Ice Climbing in Mlačca
Climbing a vertical column of frozen water is a must-have experience. Not sure about that? Get an ice climbing instructor or a mountain guide, and try it out in Mlačca gorge.
Mrzli Vrh from Žiri (10.5 km, Δ=510 m)
Mrzli Vrh (Cold Peak) is a beautiful vista point high above Žiri, well worth the effort you’ll spend hiking or biking there – you’ll enjoy the views of Škofja Loka hills, Idrija hills, and the Julian Alps.
Zavratec Plateau Trail (16.7 km, Δ=370 m)
I had the mountain bike packed in my car but had to be back home for lunch, so I was looking for a short but steep ride, and the Zavratec Plateau Trail turned out to be an excellent choice, including lovely views of the Julian Alps and Idrija hills.
Other hikes in this region
- Andrej above Zminec (616 m, Δ=260 m, 2 hours)
- Bevk's peak (1051 m, Δ=450 m, 3 hours)
- Blegoš from Leskovica (1562 m, Δ=750 m, 4 hours)
- Blegoš from Črni vrh (1562 m, Δ=820 m, 6 hours)
- Bukov vrh and Vinharje (832 m, Δ=440 m, 4.5 hours)
- Ermanovec from Kopačnica (1026 m, Δ=500 m, 3 hours)
- Ermanovec from Sovodenj (1026 m, Δ=430 m, 2.5 hours)
- Ermanovec from Trebija (968 m, Δ=530 m, 2.5 hours)
- Goropeke (698 m, Δ=200 m, 1.5 hour)
- Jamnik and Vodice from Kropa (1300 m, Δ=770 m, 5 hours)
- Javorč from Gorenja vas (901 m, Δ=500 m, 3.5 hours)
- Javorč from Žiri (901 m, Δ=410 m, 2.5 hours)
- Malenski vrh (987 m, Δ=420 m, 2.5 hours)
- Miklavška gora (955 m, Δ=210 m, 2 hours)
- Mrzli vrh from Žiri (987 m, Δ=517 m, 3.5 hours)
- Saint Ozbolt above Zminec (859 m, Δ=240 m, 2 hours)
- Slajka and Špik from Hotavlje (908 m, Δ=490 m, 3 hours)
- Vrh Svetih treh kraljev from Izgorje (844 m, Δ=280 m, 3 hours)
- Vrh Svetih treh kraljev from Sopot (844 m, Δ=320 m, 2 hours)
- Vrsnik above Žiri (743 m, Δ=260 m, 2 hours)