At a Glance
- Occasionally steep footpath through a sparse forest
- 820 m
- Average time
Ascent: 1 hour 30 minutes
Descent: 1 hour
Total: 3 hours
- Elevation gain
- 580 m
- Park in a small parking lot just before the Hubelj bridge. There’s another (less organized) parking lot a bit further up the street.
- Cross the bridge over Hubelj and follow the red signs onto a narrow footpath ascending into the forest. Pass the nearby inn, find a hand-painted sign for okno, and follow the waymarks.
- The slopes around Hubelj are crisscrossed with trails, but it’s pretty easy to stay on the widest footpath (most of the paths merge into yours). Be careful on the way back and avoid taking the wrong fork at a junction; while you won’t get hopelessly lost, you’ll reach the asphalt road far from where you left the car.
- The footpath meanders across the terraced northern slopes of Vipava valley, resulting in a mix of steeper sections and leisurely walks until you get to Gora’s steep limestone slopes, where the mud stops and the real work starts.
- Fortunately, the farmers creating the trails from Vipava valley to Gora believed in moderation. Instead of a fierce uphill struggle, the path zigzags across the slope, rarely becoming too steep for a comfortable hike.
- You’ll be in the forest most of the time, but when you reach the clearings just below Gora’s edge, you’ll be rewarded with phenomenal views of Vipava valley and a glimpse of the Otlica window.
- When reaching the edge of the Gora plateau, turn right; you’ll reach your destination in a few minutes.
I’ve been at Otlica Window several times but never descended to it to get a better view; the terrain was always too muddy and slippery. Someone added wooden steps in 2022, making it really easy and comfortable to get close to the window. Don’t miss that opportunity; the view of the sunny Vipava valley through the rock window is stunning.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track wholeheartedly; rely on your senses and maps.