At a glance
- Easy hike on unmarked footpaths
- 350 m
- Average time
- 1 h
- Elevation gain
- 120 m
The paths described here are not marked, and there are so many footpaths on Stara Baba that it’s easy to get lost. It might be a good idea to have a smartphone with OpenCycleMap data on it.
In a Nutshell
- Usually, you can park on the right-hand side of the road just before the Hubelj bridge. On weekends, you might have to drive a bit farther; there are a few parking spots just across the bridge.
- Take the gravel road leading east (back toward Ajdovščina).
- Search for a footpath forking left into the forest. When you find the right one, it will lead you past interesting rocks to the top of the terrace.
- Enjoy the stroll along the edge of the terrace. Eventually, you’ll have to turn left and walk toward a dirt track crossing a shallow valley between your path and the steep slopes of Gora.
- When you get to the dirt track, turn right and follow it until it meets a broader dirt track going uphill from Ajdovščina to Gora.
- Turn right, descend toward Ajdovščina until you get to the gravel road. Follow the gravel road back toward Hubelj.
If you don’t like walking on a gravel road, take an alternate path (untested):
- Follow a footpath toward Grivče
- Turn right to get to the main road
- Cross Hubelj and walk back to the starting point following trails on the other riverbank.