At a Glance
- Steep hike through a pine forest
- 867 m
- Average time
Ascent: 1 hour
Descent: 45 minutes
Total: 2 hours
- Elevation gain
- 450 m
In a Nutshell
- Start the hike at a roadside parking space just above the hunting hut in Budanje.
- Years ago, there was a sign for Kovk pointing to a dirt trail leading uphill. That sign is long gone, but the dirt trail is impossible to miss.
- The dirt trail morphs into a narrow footpath when it meets the steep slopes of Gora. You’ll also notice the first red arrows and waymarks – follow them to the Gora plateau.
- A bit above the halfway point, you’ll get to an impossible-to-miss rock shelter. If you do the hike around Christmas, you might encounter a tiny Nativity scene there.
- Another Nativity scene is waiting for you a few meters before the footpath reaches the edge of the plateau. It was a bit boring the last time I walked by – everyone left, leaving Mother Mary all alone in front of Bethlehem skyline.
- When you reach Gora’s sunny pastures, follow the wider footpath going left toward a paragliding take-off point.
- Take a break and enjoy the view ;)
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track wholeheartedly; rely on your senses and maps.