At a glance
- Steep mix of asphalt and gravel roads with an optional overgrown dirt track.
- 450 m
- Average time
- 2.5 h
- Elevation gain
- 450 m
- 14.8 km
- Park next to the road toward Hrastovlje – there’s a small parking lot on the right-hand side.
- For a much shorter version (skipping most of asphalt roads and the steep parts), start in Podpeč. Park at the small parking lot right after the village and nowhere else.
- You might want to turn around at the radio tower on the Karst Edge, or you could explore the nearby dirt tracks like we did (eventually arriving to Praproče).
- There are numerous dirt tracks descending from Karst Edge toward Podpeč and Rižana valley. We explored only one of them at the very end of the journey. Do better.
- Don’t skip the Podpeč Castle or the medieval church in Hrastovlje.
- If you decided to explore the dirt tracks, visit the tiny church of Marija Snežna (St Mary of the Snows) – marked Gradišče (467 m) on the map.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track; rely on your senses and maps.