At a glance
- Easy hike with wondeful vistas
- 420 m
- Average time
- 2 h
- Elevation gain
- 210 m
- Črni Kal is well-known for its climbing area, and there are two parking lots the climbers usually use. We’ll stop at the lower one – turn into the narrow streets of Črni Kal village from the main road, and follow the signs for climbing/parking.
- Follow the dirt road that starts just above the parking lot. Keep to the right/slightly downwards until you reach the somewhat wider rocky trail ascending from Loka village (clearly visible far below).
- Cross the railroad (tunnel), then turn left onto a gravel road.
- The gravel road will bring you to a T-junction with a road going from Podpeč toward Praproče. You could turn right and make a long trip through Podpeč (see: Praproče from Rižana Valley). We decided to turn left.
- The gravel road will bring you to a gap in the rocky barrier (Karst Edge). Just after that, turn left onto a marked footpath.
- Follow the footpath along the edge of a meadow with beautiful Karst Edge and Adriatic sea vistas until you reach the red signs at the edge of a pine forest.
- If you have time, keep right - the path will bring you to the ancient ruins of Črni Kal castle and end on a gravel road going through another parking lot. Turn left, and you’ll reach your car in less than five minutes.
- We decided to turn left onto a short steep descent that ends at the railroad (no tunnel this time, be careful). Follow it for a few meters (going right) toward the edge of the climbing area.
- Once you reach the bottom of the climbing area, turn left onto a narrow footpath that will bring you back to the parking lot.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track; rely on your senses and maps.