At a Glance
- Long easy hike on a mule trail
- 1394 m
- Average time
Ascent: 2 hours 30 minutes
Descent: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total: 4 hours
- Elevation gain
- 820 m
- Park near the mountain hut in Lepena
- The well-marked trail starts near the end of the road behind the mountain hut.
- You’ll follow a wide mule trail that zigzags across a steep slope covered with beech forest for almost two hours (~700 m altitude gain).
- Once you reach the saddle in the ridge surrounding Lepena valley the fairy tale starts. Enjoy the magnificent views of the surrounding peaks!
- Keep to the right and stay on an easy path that will guide you across sunny meadows right to the lake.
Places to Eat and Stay
- We loved staying at Holiday House Natura and Chalet GoSlo.
- Getting good food in Bovec became harder since Dobra Vila restaurant closed down. Sovdat is the best option, Letni Vrt is not bad. Stay away from Martinov Hram unless you admire haughty waiters (see Google reviews for more details)
- We stopped by Metoja (in Soča village) once and it was an excellent choice. So was Topli Val in Kobarid.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track; rely on your senses and maps.