At a Glance
- Steep footpath with rare faded waymarks
- 1475 m
- Average time
- 2.5 h
- Elevation gain
- 430 m
- Park on Planina Stador (Stador Alp)
- Follow the signs for Kobilja Glava toward the mountain hut. The sign just before the mountain hut was totally washed out in November 2021; follow something that looks like a wooden arrow pointing left.
- Eventually, you’ll reach the end of the gravel road next to Chalet Astra Montana. Continue onto a narrow footpath.
- The signs try to help you, but you’ll need a tiny bit of scouting skills to get to the ridge of Šprinca (an almost-invisible bump on the slopes of Kobilja Glava).
After that you can’t get lost:
- Follow the ridge to the peak;
- Traverse a tiny saddle to get to the last hut on the alp;
- Follow a well-worn footpath toward the saddle left of an enormous cross on Kobilja Glava.
- When reaching the main ridge of Kobilja Glava, turn right to reach the cross.
Going for a Longer Hike
Want to go for a longer hike? Starting halfway up the hill will extend your trek for another hour (and add 400 m of altitude gain):
- As you drive toward Stador Alp, you’ll notice a bright red mountaineering sign pointing into the woods next to a sharp right hairpin.
- Park right after the hairpin.
- Follow the red sign onto a sparsely-marked footpath that quickly merges with a wide dirt trail. Follow the dirt trail to Stador Alp.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track wholeheartedly; rely on your senses and maps.