Hiking in Slovenia » Karawanks » PlaninicaPlaninica is the lowest-lying alp on the southern slopes of Begunjščica ridge. Hiking there will take a tad longer than an hour, and the hut on the alp promises all sorts of local delicacies and even ice cream – a perfect family hike.
At a Glance
- Easy hike
- 1136 m
- Average time
Ascent: 1 hour 15 minutes
Descent: 45 minutes
Total: 2 hours
- Elevation gain
- 450 m
In a Nutshell
- Drive to Gostišče Draga (Draga Inn) north of Begunje, and park somewhere nearby. There are two decently large public parking lots a few hundred meters up the road.
- Follow the road for approximately 1.7 km (slightly less than half an hour).
- You’ll notice a rocky trail decorated with a faded waymark going left into the forest on one of the right bends. Follow that trail (it’s so broad that it’s impossible to miss).
- The trail crosses a gravel road a few times, and it’s not always obvious where it continues. Use your scouting skills and look beyond the roadside bushes to spot an occasional waymark.
- When the trail brings you to a dirt road at the lowest edge of the alp, you’ll find your path blocked by a barbed wire. What a welcome!
- Turn right, following a sign that’s about to peel off from a tiny wooden board. Follow the gravel road (or a shortcut across the meadow) to the hut on the alp.
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track wholeheartedly; rely on your senses and maps.