At a glance
- A leisurely ride on a mix of gravel roads, dirt roads, and single-tracks. Expect a few steeper sections.
- 393 m
- Average time
- 2 h
- Elevation gain
- 290 m
- 17.5 km
- I started at Hotel St. Daniel1. You could start in Kobjeglava or park at the hunting lodge in Tupelče (the starting coordinates).
- Somewhere in a large meadow just past Lukovec, find a narrow trail going left (you might notice the blue biking marks; I was going too fast for that). If you keep going straight, you’ll hit a nasty roadblock2 and will have to turn around3. I removed the erroneous segment from the GPX file.
- Once you reach the asphalt road toward Komen, ignore the dirt roads going left until you reach a WW2 monument.
- A few kilometers after Mali Dol, the dirt road turns left, and there’s a small sign for Spacalova pot on the right, sending you straight onto a narrow footpath. Don’t miss it - the dirt road ends at a pasture.
Highly recommended if you’re looking for a quiet and friendly place to stay. ↩︎
Experiencing first-hand what happens when someone buys a small plot of land in the middle of nowhere without realizing the implications of a gravel road crossing it. A few years ago, they allowed the bikers to pass; the current total roadblock is probably a consequence of obnoxious individuals pestering the annoyed landowner with legal arguments (I could read them between the lines of a lengthy No Trespassing notice). ↩︎
One would hope that the local tourist organization posting excellent signs on all major junctions would add a sign saying don’t go that way, the road is closed. Alas… ↩︎
Map of the Route
The map shows the path we took as recorded by the GPS receiver. Never trust a GPS track; rely on your senses and maps.